Ten things about Jack you probably don’t know.
1. His new favorite foods are as follows; lentil soup, blueberries, turkey burger and sweet potato.
2. He seems to have some ambition in the circus arts. He has taken to standing atop the dog, like a circus girl atop a pony. The dog has no desire to partake in the foolery, and usually walks away in a huff, leaving the budding circus performer on his bottom.
3. He has four birthday party invites for the next month, which officially makes his social life more happening than mine. Luckily I get to tag along.
4. He has perfected the following animal noises and performs them with serious gusto; sheep, bear, dog and monkey.
5. He kisses like a little sweetie. Also like a little Frenchman, lots of tongue.
6. He now really understands the nursing sign. It was amazing to watch it click in his brain. He made the sign and smiled, and when I said “nursing” his face lit like a christmas tree. He was so excited to be able to communicate with me. It was reminiscent of the scene in ” The Miracle Worker” when Helen Keller as played by Patty Duke, learns to communicate water (I refer to her excitement, not her level of achievement.) Unfortunately the power has gone to his head. He now wants to nurse ALL day long. He comes at me, both hands blazing with the nursing sign and nurses with new-found relish. I have been trying to honor his requests, as we are doing some night weaning, and I want him to feel really secure in our day nursing. This has evolved into something of a hostage situation. I am the hostage. Yesterday I got stuck in a dressing room for half an hour, as he enjoyed his new communication.
7. He can smell things now. I think that developmental discovery is owed to the book “Pat The Bunny.” He leans in and sniffs the flowers.
8. His hair is a precious and rare commodity. Although it is growing, it is still sparse. He has a few curls growing in the back. They are the most beautiful and tender curls you will ever see. They bruise my heart with their red perfection. I have been referring to them as his mullet ( I always knew he was an Iowa boy at heart.) A friend suggested they are more of a skullet, which is brilliant and accurate.
9. He is the love of my life.
10. He is a Flirty McFlirterson. He loves the ladies. He has game, he does not however have subtlty. If the lady he intends to woo, has her attention somewhere else, he will hoot rather loudly to get it. He will continue to hoot, with escalating volume until he gains her attention. Once caught, he smiles his sweetest and coos like a little dove.